Wednesday, September 8, 2021

 

Originally published in the Life At Home section of The Boston Globe

July 18, 2002 –modified from its original form

 

CONFESSIONS OF AN IMPERFECT MOM 

 

By, Rebecca Holdsworth

 

I have been dealt a mortal blow. I have been insulted so completely that it has shaken my entire idea of who I am and who I strive to be. What, may you ask, could be so earth shattering?  It was, in a word, perfection.

 

A friend of 10 years, one who I thought I knew so well and, more importantly, knew me, one who went through my darkest hours of college angst with me and yet our friendship still resurfaced on the other side, called me the worst name any mother can call another: perfect.

 

Perfect: an adjective. "Without defect or omission," according to Webster's. "In a condition of complete excellence."

 

As in: "You are the perfect mother. I can never hope to attain your level of perfection in the parenting of my child."

 

Pardon? Me? Are we talking about me? I let out an indignant "I am not!" and proceeded on a 20-minute tirade on just how horrible a mother I really am.

 

After hanging up with her, I called a good friend. She was a true friend, a dear friend, a realistic, down-to-earth, tell-it-like-it-is friend.  I told her my greatest insult: I was thought to be the perfect mother, cringing as the word came out of my mouth.

There was a bit of silence but that didn't worry me. It takes time for a good, true, honest friend to find a tactful way of saying, "You stink as a mom." I waited eagerly for those words.

 

"Well," she began, "you are kind of the Martha Stewart of parenting."

 

I was dumbstruck. I was aghast. I was horrified. So what if my curtains match my couch? So what if I have knickknacks artfully arranged over my kitchen cabinets? Who cares if my children's rooms are themed and there just so happen to be a few fresh herbs tucked in between the plants in my window boxes? That isn't what makes me a good parent!

 

"Hey! Don't get me wrong," she continued. "I've seen you lose your cool. I know what you look like after a full day of the Ringling Brothers and Three under Three Circus. But you seem to pull it off so effortlessly." She apologized for making me feel worse and said she had to go. "I have to wash off my kids and hose down the office wall now. Too much alone time and a little blue paint has gotten way out of control."

 

Perfect. Why does the idea of being seen as a perfect parent seem like such an abhorrent thing? Is it because the simple nature of perfection raises the bar and makes it that much harder on the next one in line? I don't want the responsibility of being a parental yardstick. I don't want to be the reason someone else feels lousy. I don't want to be different. I want to be down in the trenches with the rest of the parents, complaining about diapers and hunger strikes and potty training gone wrong. I want to be one of the gang.

 

Here is the thing: I am one of the gang. I am not perfect, a long way from it. I lose my temper and a stray four-letter word is repeated gleefully at the next family dinner. I have realized my kids have gone a week without a bath; and their brown color isn't from a lack of sunscreen at the beach yesterday. I have left a diaper on so long as to necessitate a life preserver for the wearer and a shampoo for the carpet. I'm not perfect and I don't want to be.

 

Ask any parent about perfection and you'll hear something like, "Honey, I gave that up years ago. I'll settle for convincing my kid to eat something other than corn flakes."

 

I tell people I am not saving for college but for the therapy they will surely need after 18 years with me as their perfect mom.

 

THE ESSAY

Rebecca Holdsworth writes in Shirley.

Copyright (c) 2002 Globe Newspaper Company

Record Number: 0207180034

No comments:

Post a Comment